A leading UK law firm with a network of offices from the South Coast to Scotland, working together as one national team. An innovative practice and the first top 50 law firm to achieve “Platinum Standard” Investors in People, our values and culture are not just words on our website but are the heartbeat of the firm. The lack of barriers between departments, a real lack of hierarchy, zero tolerance for arrogance makes Shoosmiths a fantastic place to work.
A newly created role within Shoosmiths’ Business Development (BD) team, providing internal administrative and external marketing activity support (mainly comms and content related) aligned to Shoosmiths’ 5 Sectors (Financial Services, Infrastructure & Energy, Living, Mobility and Technology) with the objective of raising the profile of the Sectors in the market and their ability to attract new work.
This role facilitates an interface between the Sectors and our central BD functions of relationship management, bids/new business, PR, events/ campaigns, client insight and design and digital, as well as working with our Business Development Managers (BDM) who also support on Sector activities. You will therefore work closely with and co-ordinate input from various BD team members to deliver the priorities of this role and to provide tactical delivery of new external marketing activity.
Key to success of the role is proactively building relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including the five Sector Heads, membership associations, organisations and trade bodies, and the BD team.
Strategic plans/ prioritisation
- Develop an understanding of the Sector strategies, including an understanding of the key markets/ sub-sectors and prioritise activities accordingly;
- Develop a good working understanding of the key memberships, trade bodies and other organisations and associations aligned to each Sector, assist with relationship building and encouraging engagement internally;
- Conduct activities that support the implementation of each Sector’s strategic objectives.
External profile raising
- Work with the Events/Campaigns team, PR team and BDMs to support the delivery of initiatives in the optimum way, e.g. compiling invitation lists and tracking and ensuring follow up from events;
- Identify profile-raising/ speaking opportunities;
- Help co-ordinate external events/ webinars, promote them on the website and assist with follow up actions such as publishing key takeaways;
- Help build and put in place an approach to maintaining a bank of Sector experience/ examples to feed into ‘At a glance’ experience flyers / case studies and credentials documents;
- Work with the PR team on social media campaigns relating to Sector work/ initiatives;
- Monitor Shoosmiths’ external website to ensure Sector material remains up to date and relevant.
Other ad-hoc tasks
Including but not limited to:
- Administrative tasks such as attending Sector exec meetings, minute taking if required and following up on action points;
- Diary co-ordination and arranging meetings as necessary;
- Assisting with measurement/ Sector reporting;
- Helping draft internal comms/ presentations relating to the Sectors/ success stories.
Experience, qualifications and other role-specific requirements
- Degree education preferred;
- Experience working in one or more of our Sectors and ideally within a law firm partnership structure or the financial services sector;
- Comfortable working to strict deadlines and in pressurised environments without compromising on quality of work;
- Ability to manage and prioritise own workload, motivated to achieve long term goals;
- Accuracy and attention to detail, and a keen commercial and business sense;
- Knowledge and application of Microsoft Office suite, Webex / Teams. SAP, InterAction, and Vuture desirable.
Key skills and behaviours
- Proven ability to work with senior stakeholders;
- Commercially aware with a track record of growing existing and new business;
- Pro-active – confident with idea generation and implementation;
- Shows judgment and common sense;
- Team player, able to work collaboratively within various virtual teams;
- Diplomacy and prioritisation of requests for assistance, to ensure that requests do not exceed the bounds of central BD resource provision;
- Personable yet robust in approach;
- Highly organised, able to run multiple projects concurrently;
- Persuasive and persistent approach to co-ordinating busy stakeholders’ inputs.
Our approach to our people is underpinned by our approach to diversity, inclusion and well being. Our ambition is to build a diverse and ambitious workforce that reflects all backgrounds and talents, and a workplace that is supportive and inclusive, recognises and nurtures talent, and has a strong sense of community between colleagues.
This means that everyone who either applies to or works for the firm is treated equally, whatever their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, disability, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.