We’re a national law firm with a local reach. Our philosophy is ‘Expert Hand, Human Touch’ – something you’ll find in the way we work with our clients and how we support our teams. But, we’re more than just a law firm – we’re a team, working together to help individuals and businesses navigate life’s ups and downs.
Whichever team you join, working here you’ll feel a part of our friendly and inclusive environment. We’ll value you for who you are and what you bring. We support each other and push boundaries to achieve incredible things, and make a real difference to our clients and communities.
The work we do has been recognised in the awards we’ve won. We’re committed to being even better, and our awards help to show we’re on the right track.
We recognise that the office 9-5 isn’t for everyone. That’s why we’ve introduced ‘Flexible by Choice’. Whether it’s working from home, in our offices, or a combination of the both, we trust each other to support our clients, colleagues and communities at the right time, in the right way.
Reporting into the Head of Business Development, the Business Development Manager is responsible for developing the strategy, planning and managing business development activity and pipeline to support business growth and ensure outcomes are delivered to achieve business and strategic goals for their aligned audience/sector/market.
As part of the Commercial Growth Team this role will support and be responsible in both acquiring and nurturing growth from new and existing clients.
- Responsibility, leadership and implementation of business development strategies for the aligned business area with the strategic aim of:
- Maximising profitable revenue
- Building new business pipelines and acquisition from within agreed sectors/professions
- Meeting more needs for existing clients to build lifetime value.
- To work collaboratively with other Business Development Managers to identify, drive and maximise opportunities in each audience, sector and market across the Group.
- Identifying opportunities and attending meetings to win new clients and develop new relationships/partnerships that support strategic growth.
- Have an excellent understanding of the Group’s legal and financial services and products and be able to advise others about them and promote/sell the Group services to external clients and contacts.
- The BDM will be responsible and accountable for forecasting budget spend aligned with audience, market and sector, ensuring that forecasting is accurate, up to date backed with strong and sound commercial decisions.
- Develop, review and report on the sales and business development strategy, ensuring the strategic objectives are well understood and executed by the Business.
- Conducting and chairing integrated sales and business development meetings for sectors/markets.
- Responsible for assigned key accounts to support growth, with action plans to achieve appropriate objectives, research and knowledge sharing across the firm, attending internal and external meetings, coaching and monitoring ROI.
- Work as a team with colleagues from across the business to drive a collaborative approach to the market and sector, identifying potential sales prospects, building the pipeline and business development plan.
- Developing presentations and proposal documents and accompany partners on new business pitches where appropriate
- Utilising reporting systems and data insights for ROI to include tracking and monitoring of activity: lead times, conversion ratios, client feedback, services purchased to inform sound commercial decisions and business development strategies
- To be the expert voice and representation of the client in the relevant audience, market and sector to ensure our approach is relevant facilitate an account management role and act as sponsor of work.
- Work alongside our Responsible Business Team to bring the Responsible Business strategy to life
- Extensive experience of working in a business development or sales and marketing role.
- Experience and ability to be proactive and engaged in external market, developing relationships with clients, contacts or intermediaries.
- Ability to work with a high degree of autonomy.
- Someone who sets very high standards for self and others, leads by example, shows mental resilience and always delivers.
- Someone who can inspire and engage others to get the best out of their teams.
- Ability to interpret and make good use of data to make sound decisions
- Someone who is flexible, collaborative and creative.
- Strong in written communications with an eye for the detail.
- Self-aware, passionate about self-development/improvement and the learning and development of others.
- An articulate communicator, who adapts style to meet the differing needs of the audience.
- Ability to build and manage positive relationships both internally and externally.
- Strong influencing skills with the ability to identify and manage stakeholders.
- Ability to drive collaborative working
- Excellent organisational skills
- 25 days annual leave, with the opportunity to buy additional leave
- Two fundraising days in a year to give back to the community (fully paid!)
- Westfield Health membership, offering discounted leisure and travel and refunds on medical services
We also offer a huge number of well-being initiatives to encourage positive mental health both in and out of the workplace as well as flexible working options to ensure that you are fully supported to work the way that best suits you. Our social responsibility programme is fundamental to who we are. We’re committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace where our colleagues can flourish. We have a range of groups to celebrate our people across sexuality, disability, age, gender and culture.
We welcome applications from all diversity groups and backgrounds. We’re committed to enabling everyone to thrive and understanding and celebrating our differences is a key part of that. We’re proud of our work on the Disability Confident scheme, on the Race At Work Charter and as Stonewall Diversity Champions. We also have a range of networks for LGBT+, disability, generations, gender, social mobility, ethnicity, faith and culture to celebrate our people and to enable everyone to thrive.
As part of the Irwin Mitchell Group’s on-boarding process all successful applicants are required to complete the group’s employment screening process. This process helps to ensure that all new employees meet our standards in relation to honesty and integrity therefore protecting the interests of the Group, existing employees, clients, partners and other stakeholders.
Depending on the role you apply for we may carry out checks that will establish your eligibility to work in the UK, and criminal record check and financial checks with a credit reference agency will also be undertaken.
The employment screening process will fully comply with Data Protection and other applicable laws.
Irwin Mitchell LLP is an equal opportunity employer.