BDM roles are aligned to Coverage and focus on driving relationships and growth through Sectors. The roles are aligned to a group of clients to build and retain client relationships, originate opportunities, and win profitable work. BDMs have access to and role model good sales practices through the wider BD community and a range of Sales and Marketing CRM and guidance.
This role is aligned to our IGH (Infrastructure, Government and Health) Coverage function and specifically our Education, Skills and Productivity sector.
Our Education, skills and productivity (ESP) team sits within KPMG’s Public Sector (IGH) practice.
It is an approximately £30m sub-sector within our public sector team and covers all aspects of the education landscape from schools; Further Education; Higher Education; Government and the wider skills landscape. Building on our strong footprint in Audit and tax we plan to grow our advisory revenue (consulting and deals) to take us to £50m by 2024.
To support this growth and in line with the wider IGH portfolio, we are looking to recruit business development support for the sector.
KPMG has been working in the sector for many years; has excellent relationships; understanding and a strong pipeline. We are now looking to accelerate our ability to further develop and convert the pipeline with focused Business Development capacity
As part of the ESP team you will also sit within a broader IGH and national markets sales function offering professional support and development.
You will join a cross-functional ESP leadership team led by a Coverage Partner and supported by a sales executive and working alongside a talented team of partners and directors who face into the education market.
The role is to lead the translation of the national ESP market strategy into national and regional growth plans and in doing so ensure the plans reflect local client issues and the local impact of national public sector policy.
The role will include (but not be limited to):
- Focusing on certain target Universities, working alongside the Client Partner (CLP), to expand our contacts and understanding and develop an opportunity pipeline
- Working alongside the Department for Education CLP to expand our relationship base; understanding and pipeline.
- Taking a lead in taking new advisory products to market and developing a strong sales pipeline in our chosen areas
- Picking up a lead role for certain large target academies and Further Education targets to build relationships and be the relationship lead for KPMG
- Supporting our Director of Skills in the wider market to translate policy and funding to opportunity or KPMG
- Working alongside our team to develop market opportunity with multipliers and the sector (eg: CIO events)
- Ensuring best practice in terms of CRM and pipeline management
- Support regional Client Service Team meetings
- Support wider strategy and account planning
- Support the qualification and pursuit of opportunities and
- Acting as coach and support best practise sales approaches to support profitable growth across the sector
- The individual will proactively manage and grow the target areas and needs to have strong leading, managing and influencing skills as well as being very strong on attention to detail and follow through of actions.
Performance will be assessed for the individuals in these roles through a combination of measures including; revenue growth, brand enhancement, client relationships and internal feedback. The role sits within the IGH Sales and Marketing team working closely with the IGH Market Coverage Sales Directors and Lead Partners.
Business development is a high-profile opportunity within KPMG. You will be playing a crucial role in helping to drive the business forward and will be part of a dynamic team culture offering strong internal networks and support.
Your main internal points of contact will be with the Sector head; and leadership team within ESP; Office Senior Partners, Client Lead Partners, Sales Partners, Heads of adjacent Sectors and the Head of Clients and Growth.
- Work on a diverse portfolio of targets focused on creating relationships and new opportunities.
- Spend 80% of time engaged in sales activities
- Identify and gather information on new client issues through primary (face-to-face) meetings
- Facilitate expansion of points of contact between KPMG and clients. Create, maintain and drive the execution of the relationship map and plan to develop many to many contacts.
- Personally lead development of those relationships where KPMG has no existing relationship and convene the market
- Develop peer relationships with client staff and procurement teams
- Co-ordinate client relationship events and ensure return on investment is measured through deepened relationships and increased opportunity for KPMG to work with the client
- Identify and build relationships with regional influencers by attending events, hosting internal sales meetings and supporting Client Service Teams (CSTs), sharing best practice and seeking opportunities to raise profile externally
- Understand KPMG’s approach to managing the sales pipeline and converting opportunities
- Act as a role model for Business Development across agreed portfolio and Region
- Focus on current issues to ensure that time sensitive solutions and ideas are communicated to clients using internal network to identify KPMG’s angle and develop a proposition to take to the client
- Identify opportunities at the client and individuals to target.
- Boost sales conversion through deploying rigorous sales processes, pricing, contracting and negotiation, to win work across multiple channels
- Work with and across functions and functional partners to enhance sales efforts. Agree sales strategy to penetrate the account, assign ownership for relationships with key stakeholders and ensure appropriate visibility at board level.
- Ensure all sales activities are consistent with KPMG account plan sales process, client service meetings, client service reviews etc.
- Act as a focal point for articulating and selling new propositions
- Actively seek opportunities to add more value to the client, through cross-functional solution.
- Provide visibility of sales pipeline by ensuring SAP pipeline management systems are kept up to date
- Ensure major opportunities/actions from account plans are reviewed and challenged regularly
- Coach teams in sales/proposal best practice
- Build a strong and extensive external network, raising your profile with key businesses and multipliers, including sector specialists, lawyers, banks, etc.
- Leverage KPMG network by encouraging and facilitating cross- functional involvement
- Act as a focal point for communications between the client and KPMG team
- Leverage the internal talent pool by securing the best people for your clients
- Facilitate communication amongst team members; develop client knowledge to encourage communication and discussion amongst the CST.
- Share knowledge of sales and relationship management by informally seeking opportunities to coach and mentor partners and emerging leaders
- Bring new ideas and methods to accounts and liaise with other account team members to ensure that best practice is shared, client and regional intelligence is communicated, and the team has a good understanding of what services are selling well
- Understand the wider offerings of the firm and gain a good understanding of broader sector / client trends, issues, needs, and potential applicability / relevance across own portfolio
- Provide sales forecasts by involving all functions that can add value to the account, including regular meetings with all functions involved with the account. This includes working on behalf of services that the client doesn’t buy in order to open the door
- Manage / co-ordinate tenders and the pitch process, providing challenge and support. Ensure that our client knowledge is best represented and inject the client perspective into the process. Ensure that our responses to RFPs score well. This includes developing clear client USPs that support the strategic direction of KPMG with that organisation/authority.
- Bonus will vary annually aligned to commission / reward structure. Typically:
- Individual origination (revenue credits or contribution to sales)
- Account or Sector sales (outputs) and Pipeline (input) metrics
- Meeting Count (time in the market) and new client relationships. Both captured in CRM.
- Feedback comments from Sales Partners, Sector Heads Client Lead Partners and Clients.
- Contribution to IGH sales community.
- Good academics / degree (2:1) an advantage
- Experience of sales or a client-facing professional role and understanding of professional services markets an advantage.
- Building relationships at a senior level both within KPMG/ equivalent and externally with clients
- Strong networks and/or the ability to build networks quickly in the public sector
- Working within the DfE; University or other Education and wider Public Sector Organisations and understanding or delivering Consultancy projects for the sector
- Driving forward growth in a market/account
- Proactively shaping role and organising and scheduling own projects and workload, working under pressure and managing many conflicting priorities
- Able to drive value-adding business conversations with clients
- Tangible income generation evidence
- Sets the standard for insight and opinions delivered to the client, as is knowledgeable on both client business issues and KPMG solutions and can match both effectively through assimilation.
- Be confident interacting at the most senior levels internally and externally, while at the same time able to interact well with peers and other more junior members of the team
- Strong questioning and listening skills with ability to see the bigger picture
- Effective networker with ability to understand client needs
- Good thinker with ability to understand concepts and with relevant industry experience
- Mature in outlook, with strong influencing skills (internal and with client) and diplomacy
- Positive and enthusiastic manner in dealing with a cross section of people
- Enthusiastic self-starter
- Practical but can think strategically
- Be well organised, detail-conscious, pro-active, hard-working, and resilient
- Be flexible in their approach and able to work under pressure
- Good interpersonal, organisational and communication skills
- Good presentation skills
- Possess excellent communication skills and be confident speaking to large groups
- Strong understanding of services, and relevant content across the firm, in order to create a fully multi-disciplinary approach