This role is aligned to our IGH (Infrastructure, Government and Health) Coverage function.
Our Government & Justice (G&J) team sits within KPMG’s Public Sector (IGH) practice.
It is an approximately £60m+ sub-sector within our public sector team and covers the many of the central Government departments.
In line with the wider IGH portfolio, we have ambitious growth plans across our Government & Justice sub sector and are looking to recruit business development support for one of our Managed Accounts – the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS) .
KPMG has been working with BEIS and their family of agencies for a number of years; has excellent relationships; understanding and an exciting range of opportunities in the pipeline. Given demand, the CLP needs BD capacity to translate all of that into deliverable sales and lead a number of relationships across the department its agencies.
You will join a cross-functional G&J leadership team led by a Coverage Partner and supported by a sales executive and working alongside a talented team of partners and directors who face into the Central Government market.
Your main internal points of contact will be with the Client Lead Partner for BEIS; and leadership team within G&J; Office Senior Partners, Sales Partners, Heads of adjacent Sectors and the Head of Clients and Growth.
G&J Sector specific responsibilities
• Focusing on BEIS and a few target partner organisations, working alongside the Client Partner (CLP), to expand our contacts and understanding and develop an opportunity pipeline
• Working alongside the BEIS CLP to really expand our relationship base; understanding and pipeline. This will include working closely with the other existing Business Development leads to ensure cross sector coverage (ESG, Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities, Financial Services).
• Develop sales plans for the account, which align to client needs and are commercially beneficial for KPMG
• Identify opportunities through white space, cross sell, events and sales campaigns and deliver incremental sales growth that expands multi-disciplinary services across accounts
• Work with Marketing to co-ordinate client relationship events and ensure return on investment is measured through deepened relationships and increased opportunity for KPMG to work with the client via follow up of Mascot lead.
• Leverage the KPMG network by encouraging and facilitating cross-capability involvement
• Understand wider offerings/key propositions of the firm, broader sector/client trends and apply to your portfolio
• Always plan for meetings, considering how you will provide value through every interaction
Conversion & Profitability
• Increase probability of winning work by planning for client meetings and pursuits using the MarketEDGE methodology
• Co-ordinate proposals and presentations, providing challenge and support. Ensure that our client knowledge is best represented and inject the client perspective into the process. Ensure that our responses to RFPs score well. This includes developing clear client USPs that support the strategic direction of KPMG with that organisation/authority.
• Role model weekly completion and review of the sales pipeline and qualification process.
• Work alongside capability teams to ensure new work is priced to achieve profitability targets.
• Ensure you and broader team complete and learn lessons from pursuit debriefs on opportunities.
Relationships & Retention
• Develop & strengthen client networks by understanding individuals’ business and personal goals. Lead on relationship development for target clients including procurement on peer basis.
• Maximise coverage across the CST, using tools such as relationship plans and demonstrate personal credibility through insight, challenge and rapport building.
• Optimise our CRM to keep track of client meetings and information so we can effectively plan for meetings which enhance our clients’ experience.
• Employ the use of social media, wider alumni and relationship programmes to connect further with clients.
• Retain & strengthen client relationships by developing multiple connection points in relationships and service lines,
• Business development is a high profile opportunity within KPMG. You will be playing a crucial role in helping to drive the business forward and will be part of a dynamic team culture offering strong internal networks and support.
• Role modelling adoption of CRM and firm process, and coach others to achieve success in sales using firm practices.
• Provide sales forecasts by involving all functions that can add value to the account(s), including regular meetings with all functions involved with the account.
Will vary annually aligned to commission / reward structure. Typically:
• Individual origination (revenue credits or contribution to sales)
• Account or Sector sales (outputs) and Pipeline (input) metrics
• Meeting Count (time in the market) and new client relationships. Both captured in CRM.
• Feedback comments from Sales Partners, Sector Heads Client Lead Partners and Clients.
• Contribution to IGH sales community
• Good academics / degree (2:1)an advantage or similar relevant experience
• Significant experience (5+) of sales or a business development role, ideally with professional services experience.
• Building relationships at a senior level both within KPMG/ equivalent and externally with clients.
• Strong networks and/or the ability to build networks quickly in the public sector.
• Experience in selling technology and digital services preferable.
• Influencing at the most senior levels, whilst at the same time able to interact well with peers and junior team members
• Driving forward growth in a market/account
• Proactively shaping role and organising and scheduling own projects and workload, working under pressure and managing many conflicting priorities
• Able to drive value-adding business conversations with clients
• Tangible income generation evidence
• Sets the standard for insight and opinions delivered to the client, as is knowledgeable on both client business issues and KPMG solutions and can match both effectively through assimilation.
• Be confident interacting at the most senior levels internally and externally
• Strong questioning and listening skills with ability to see the bigger picture
• Effective networker with ability to understand client needs
• Good thinker with ability to understand concepts and with relevant industry experience
• Mature in outlook, with strong influencing skills (internal and with client) and diplomacy
• Positive and enthusiastic manner in dealing with a cross section of people
• Enthusiastic self-starter
• Practical but can think strategically
• Be well organised, detail-conscious, pro-active, hard-working, and resilient
• Be flexible in their approach and able to work under pressure